Tuesday, March 8, 2011

first blog entry for THE FLOWERS pg 1 - 50

Prompt number 2;
My mother never...


My mother never let me be by myself. When I was a baby I can remember my mother always being in an arms distance away from me. When I fell off  the jungle gym, I started crying but with in 2 seconds my mom was there, and when ever I had soccer practice my mom would take me with out question. It was always my schedule as priority number one, and then anything else came 2nd. I am kind of an only child, but I do have siblings, two older sisters that are from my mother’s first marriage, but I am my fathers only child. Being an only child had a lot to do with all the spoiling and extra attention I received, because my sisters were much older, we are 8 and 12 years apart. When I look back on all the things that my mother did for me i realize that she must have not had a life at all! Because when I was a child I was very outgoing and was very involved doing sports and things and my mom couldn’t have been able to manage work, me, AND something else. In retrospect I realize I was very needy as a child, but I’m glad I had the structure of family that I am so lucky to have. And the head of that family is with out a doubt my mother. She is the one who brings us all together.
            My mother never let anyone go hungry. Growing up we had this big house with a huge yard that I had a soccer goal so I would invite friends over after to practice to come play. Since they were over right after practice, it was about the same time that my mom got to cooking dinner for the whole family. And my mom can cook up a storm! She was the youngest in her family so she’s the one that stuck around my grandma the most and learned how to cook. Every night there was a feast at my house, I would usually have a friend, my uncle would usually join us, and my sisters would bring people occasionally as well. it was “the more the merrier” as they say in the Ulloa house. And when it was a holiday or birthday, you better not eat for a week to save room in your stomach for my mom’s house. And I would love that we hosted most of the holidays since our house was the biggest, because that meant that we kept the left over’s! And I could munch on them for days. Because being a soccer player isn’t easy, you have to fuel up a lot and it’s got to be good nutritional food, home cooking definitely fills that requirement.
            My mother also never let her weaknesses show, as a kid I thought my mother was invincible, because she really is. Her spirit and heart are incredible, she loves unconditionally and looks for opportunities to love constantly. It is now in my college years that I realize she is not immortal, she is susceptible to illness. But that is rather okay because now I get the opportunity to repay her with the same unconditional love that she’s shown me growing up, and I get to be her strength when she is weak. My mother never for a second didn’t love me, and I am blessed for that.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful essay! I hope you share this with your mother because I'm sure it would make her smile. You have put in an excellent effort at catching up on your blog also! I am very happy that you are part of our literary community Pedro.

    ReplyDelete